Master Plan & Site Improvements
Our 1996 Campus Master Plan essentially transformed the entire campus. Over time and with our continued involvement, the campus core once dominated by roads and parking has been turned into a beautiful and cohesive series of outdoor spaces.
The first three phases of these improvements, including walkways, green spaces, parking and intramural fields, were completed in the fall of 1998. Phase IV of the Master Plan improvements, including entrance gates, parking and more ball fields was completed in 2002. Phase V, including over 1110 parking spaces, new road alignments and walkways was completed in 2006. Together, these improvements have cost over $12 Million. We are now working on Phase VI.
With $12 million in capital improvements having been made to WSU’s core campus, the demands placed on the University’s grounds maintenance operation have significantly appreciated. To address these demands, we developed a Campus Maintenance and Management Plan, which set site design and maintenance guidelines, reorganized the operation of the Grounds Maintenance Division and provided crew training.
The effectiveness of the Plan can be measured in its results: the Grounds Maintenance Division now maintains a significantly larger amount of campus space to higher standards of quality with the same number of workers as before.